Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Exciting Times!




This was quite a week - and it's just started! We spent Monday studying about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his life's work. We read about Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges. The kids and I watched Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech and the speech he made a few days before his death. One of the things I love about home schooling is learning along with the kids. I had never watched the speech he made days before his death. It was so prophetic. I spent a chunk of our learning time in tears. The kids went with my parents in the afternoon to a local peace march put on by the Baptist church in honor of the day.

Then Tuesday, history in the making. An event that Martin Luther King had dreamed about. I spent a large part of yesterday in tears as well. I feel excited and renewed. It does feel like a new day. I can look my adopted children in the eye and assure them, in all honesty, that they can aspire to be anything - even President. WooHoo!

We have been talking a lot about how long this wait has become. We are still almost 60 days out from our court date, and so many of them haven't been making it through the first time. I belong to some other Ethiopian adoption boards, and it seems to be a problem for everyone right now. In the event that we don't pass court on the 20th, I am going to travel anyway. I do have children here that need parenting, but I also have a baby there who needs a mommy. Bret and I think it is best if he stays here and my mom and I go to be with Amani for as long as it takes. This is a thrilling and terrifying prospect for me. Of course, I am praying that we pass court on the 20th and there will be no need for plan B - but if we don't pass, I'm not going to wait any longer to be with him.

No comments: